First and foremost, ‘green’ is a mindset. It is an internalization of sustainability, where people are responsible for what they consume and the waste produced. It is an awareness of where goods and products come from, with an emphasis on local, organic production. These principles guide the social curriculum of Growing Up Green Charter School (GUGCS). Morning meeting, snack, class meetings, school wide functions, and ‘ED’ time will all demonstrate a ‘green,’ holistic approach to living.
Ways That We Are Green
- Greenery (plants, gardens);
- Composting in every classroom;
- Reusing household objects for classroom use.
- Non-toxic paints for student use and on walls;
- Recycled student materials (crayons, paper, pencils, etc.)
- Organic cotton student uniforms;
- Recycled and re-used classroom furniture;
- Recycled office supplies
- Toner-less copy machine
- Energy efficient lighting and appliances;
- Low energy behaviors (turning off lights, computers, etc.);
- Responsible school waste policy (recycling, composting, etc.); and,
We are fortunate in our partnership with Solar One, a green education organization. They will lead the staff in professional development of effective green practices, as well as reach out to parents at monthly parent meetings, so that green principles connect from school to home. Solar One will also be a crucial part of GUGCS’ “ED” time, working with the Science Coordinator and Classroom Teachers to design interdisciplinary projects that meet NYS Standards while still incorporating themes of sustainability